Wednesday, June 25, 2014

"Godspell" at Interlakes Theatre



Hello Theatre goers, 

Godspell, now playing through Sunday June 29th at Interlakes Theatre in Meredith, NH is definitely worth checking out. It is a show based on the Gospel according to St. Matthew and is beautifully directed and choreographed by Kenney Green. As the show began, the actors entered behind a scrim and began their opening lines. Having not heard this show for quite a while as well as never having seen it live, it took me a few minutes to grasp what was occurring. However, it didn’t take long before I was thoroughly enjoying myself.  Though the whole show was wonderful, there were a few performances that really caught my attention. The first is the small but fierce Gabrielle Petrosino. She was the first actor on stage and her voice immediately drew me into the show. When it came time for her solo leading the group in “Learn Your Lessons Well” I was amazed at the power of her voice. As the show continued she continued to impress me with not only her singing but her dancing and spunky stage presence. Secondly, is an old favorite of mine, Mikey LoBalsamo. His performance of “Light of the World” was incredible. Last but certainly not least, is the performance given throughout the show from Shawn Smith who portrayed Jesus. His smooth yet powerful voice and wonderful portrayal of Jesus gave me chills. And of course I can’t discuss a musical without discussing the dancing. The show features a fun tap dance amongst the jazz numbers and the performers not only knew the dances but seemed to really enjoy performing them as well. Overall, this show is fun yet moving and should not be missed.  I’m certainly glad I saw it and I am looking forward to the rest of Interlakes summer season.

No comments:

Post a Comment