Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A few side notes & my thoughts on "The 21st Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee"



Hello All,
It’s been a number of months since my first posting but here I am with a second helping of Theatre and all its fantastic craziness. I’ve kept quite busy lately but have had the opportunity to see a few productions. One of the better ones was The 21st Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee produced by Colonial Chorus Players in Reading, MA. I was able to enjoy this witty and charming musical one afternoon last fall. I had seen a few of the actors in previous productions and really enjoyed their work so I knew I was bound to enjoy this as well. Though I had heard of this musical before, I had not seen it and therefore did not know that audience members were pulled onto the stage to participate in the spelling. And of course I am one of those lucky audience members who got to go up on the stage and participate. Lucky me, it was like middle school all over again. May I point out that I didn’t enjoy middle school and that included the class spelling bees. Spelling has never been my strongest talent so when I had to spell words I had never heard of in front of an audience I was, to say the least, less than thrilled. Thankfully, because of my lack of spelling skills, I was able to get off the stage about half way through the first act and go back to my seat. Once back in my seat I was able to laugh and enjoy the remainder of the show. Though I would have much rather have stayed in my seat for the whole show I did enjoy my afternoon. The cast was colorful and fun. Overall, I enjoyed the production and I look forward to seeing the next one, which is actually in a few weeks, Young Frankenstein.  I hear from an inside source that there is plenty of tap dancing. Sounds like a good time to me. And don’t worry I will post my comments the same week I see it and not wait months like last time.
Keep your eyes open as throughout the summer I will be seeing, reviewing and posting about shows taking place throughout New England. I may also review a film or two. You’ll have to wait and see. But until then go out and enjoy some live theatre in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment